Monday, November 8, 2010

Music: A Confession


I am not ashamed to admit that my musical taste was initially formed by my father. I remember when I would ride with him from soccer practice, youth group, whenever...He would always have 107.1 THE FOX playing. It was here that I was introduced to such juggernauts as Led Zepplin, Deep Purple and AC/DC. It was also in these moments that I learned that KISS is a terrible band (Absolutely terrible, who legitimately likes this band?).

There was a time I wanted to have the exact same taste in music as my Dad. If he liked it, I did. If he hated it, as far as I was concerned it was crap.

It was a dark day in the Johnson home, the day I began to develop my own taste in music, especially when these tastes diverged. For example, Archie Johnson is not a fan of the Rolling Stones. He cannot stand Mick Jagger and not until college did I finally develop an appreciation for one of the single most significant rock bands of all time.

My dad started me on a road that has not ended yet. I have developed an appetite for music that is not easily satiated. This desire to seek out the classics as well as the underground sensations have introduced me to some gems. Some, like Bob Dylan took a bit longer than others. Some, I just cannot get on board with. Some of these bands I am ashamed to admit that when people talk about them or when they are played on the radio (does anyone listen to the radio anymore?) I quickly change the channel.

So, here is my confession. I have secretly kept to myself when people talk about certain key bands. Bands like The Cure or The Smiths. Or more modern versions like Vampire Weekend, Beach House or Yeasayer. This is not to say that these bands do not have a song or two that tickles my fancy, but I am just not interested in their wider catalogue.

When I love a band, truly love a band I seek after their music. I want to everything they've done. I scour the internet for interviews, b-sides and rarities so that I can have a holistic experience with the band. (I have almost 2 days worth of the Beatles for example)

This has been a extremely vulnerable time. I hope that this does not taint the good Matt Johnson name or the untouchable reputation of The Heretical Review.
(This blog does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of other contributors)

Below I have provided a short list of bands I really could care less about (Keep in mind all of these bands have at least a song or two I do like):

The Cure
Elvis Costello in any formation (This pains me. I've tried, I really have)
The Pretenders
Beach House
Vampire Weekend
Depeche Mode
The Smiths
Talking Heads

This is not an exhaustive list, I'm sure there are plenty of other bands I could do without. These are the ones that come to mind initially. Also, these aren't the bands I hate. That list would include KISS and early non-cheesy Aerosmith.



2 comments:

  1. Dude I'm with you 100% on the smiths, I've tried to give them a fair shot many times but i just can't, I'm not interested and they sound godawful to me. I know so many people that would probably give up their first born unto the god known as Morissey but i can't even understand why anyone would wanna hang out with the man.
    I also went through the same phase of only wanting to listen to what my father wanted to listen to when I was young. I think probably everyone does that...or maybe it's just a father son thing..? who knows.

    Give Elvis costello another try. please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog raises an interesting question. What is the criteria for liking a band, and therefore their songs, and - on the other hand - just liking a couple of a band's songs. For some reason I love the earliest line-up of Guns R' Roses, circa 1987-90, AND I like their music. But, say, like you, I love the song Everybody Wants to Rule the World and Mad World, but Tears for Fears doesn't really do it for me. In my experience, the feeling I get when I listen to those songs is so affective that I try to rationalize to myself why the band is good. But experience has taught me that I can like a band's music without liking the band or maybe even a band 'more than' their music. Nirvana - arguably - became bigger than their music, as did GNR. Their aura was intoxicating. But then some band's music became bigger than the band: I would argue that Born to be Wild and Magic Carpet Ride are a lot bigger than Steppenwolf. I might even say that the myth of Bob Dylan or even a Jim Morrison is bigger than their music.

    ReplyDelete