Saturday, April 16, 2011

Book or Movie?

I just finished reading Steven King's On Writing and found this book extremely helpful with the craft of writing. It is a writers biography in the purest form. He discusses all sorts of helpful ideas to grow as a writer as well as elements of structure and style. But, one of the most glaring recommendations King gives in this book is to read. At the end of the book He lists about 200 books he has read to keep him sharp. Things from Dickens to whatever new hip author was out when he published On Writing.

After I finished reading that book, Roger Ebert tweeted an article that echoed King's sentiments. His conclusion is, Read...something, anything as long as you're reading.

I could not agree more!

At some point in my life I became really obsessed with the desire to read anything and everything. I will fully admit that it was more than likely a selfish desire to be the smartest guy in the room, but ego aside, I really did develop a liking to reading. At first it was books about Apologetics (boring), then it moved to theology and philosophy broadly (real boring) and then st some point I was introduced to the wonder that is literature. For dramatic effect you should pronounce this in your head, "lit-er-ah-toure." Let it roll of your tongue with pretension and you'll have it.

But, let me clear the air, this is not me patting myself on the back, I just want to ask a question. Well, 2 questions.

1. What have you been reading?
2. Do you prefer reading to film?


The second question I have been giving some serious thought to. Let me clarify. I don't mean would you rather read War and Peace than Watch Jurassic Park. I mean, do you prefer the film adaptation to the book?

I often leave the theatre of an adaptation desiring feeling let down and wanting something more or better. It is not often that people do what I feel like they should have done. But, that opens this discussion to a whole host of questions I am not prepared to deal with here (ex: creative license. Blah blah).

Two movies for your consideration.

True Grit and The Road I think are 2 good examples of adaptations, however the Coen brothers and the writer of The Road did not change much, if anything from the books. Both excellent books and films, but both can stand on their own 2 feet.

This really is just a bit of rambling, get some thoughts down. What do you think? Does it make sense?

Also, let me throw this move out for consideration. Adaptation starring Nicholas Cage, written by Charlie Kaufman based on a book. This move as far as I can tell resembled nothing of the book.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I wish that this blog post had been a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. steven king is the freaking man. another weird thing about books and movies is when the movie comes first then the books, like with star wars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea, the more i read about steven king, the more i hate harold bloom. but anyways . . . with him, i'd say the books are way better than the movies, usually! The Shining is better than the book, as is Shawshank Redemption, Stand by Me, Misery, and Carrie. Alot of his books are just toooo long for the movie to do it any kind of justice.

    i don't think adaptation was based on a book; it was just a movie about a guy who was trying to adapt a book to a movie. remember when we saw that for the first time? awesome!

    I agree with King and Ebert that you gotta read to write better; also, just write! write anything, anytime.

    Why you gotta be knockin' philosophy brotha!!!!???? lol

    ReplyDelete