Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mumford and Sons, A Mack Truck of Emotion.

When I read music and movie reviews I rarely understand some of the metaphors the critics use to describe certain things.

"A Tour De force!"

"A Whirlwind!"

"Like A Punch in the Gut"

"An Earthquake for your eyes!"


Ok that last one I made up, but I feel like it fits. These men and women are trying to put into words what cannot be. A mood, a feeling, a split second happening in their life when they were immersed within a life changing creation.

Recently, I have discovered and become obsessed with Mumford & Sons "Sigh No More". I have literally listened to nothing else. I have headphones in 24 hours a day. I haven't heard the sound of my own voice for 5 working days. If I could be so bold, but this album is like having Muhammad Ali in your ears. I don't know what that means anymore than you do but it is the only way to describe my love and devotion to these guys.

It is a group of 4 from London. I don't know what they put in the water in foggy London-town but they are producing some good stuff. I'm not normally in the habit of saying, "If you like this you'll love this..." but these guys fall in the vein of Avett brothers, Blitzen Trapper, The Black Keys etc.

On a related note, I have never been a fan of Irish pub songs. At some point, guys my age, my peers become obsessed with Ireland and their drinking culture. Guys who are distinctly from the south all of a sudden find some random cousin or an uncle 4 times removed who was Irish and all of a sudden they have a clover tattooed on their back and know all the pub songs. All of that to say, these songs most definitely have the movement of a Pub song. You can envision a group of buzzed guys swaying back forth singing along.

So in closing, if you like good music, and that feeling you get when you start dating a girl, then this band and album is for you.

Also, I want to get into the business of metaphorical criticism, what do you think of mine so far?

2 comments:

  1. I freaking love "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" by Dropkick Murphys when they play it in the movie The Departed!!!!

    Little Lion Man sounds great. Their MAGNUM OPUS! wink, wink.

    Dude! Metaphors are the bomb! They are the heart of any sentence in the vast circulatory system of language. Your blog was a hot-stone massage just above the lower back in a warm Hyberbaric chamber of bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt! I found out about these boys one week ago and it's all that I can listen to as well. It seems as though their entire North American tour is sold out. Dang, and they do sound like Avette Brothers.

    ReplyDelete