Monday, February 15, 2010

Tongue tied by The Beatles

How does anyone write about the Beatles? The Beatles have reached almost god-like status in the world of music. Paul McCartney and John Lennon are considered to be the among the greatest songwriters of all time. They are maybe the single most influential band of all time.

So, back to my original question? How does one try and write about the Beatles? I believe, the only proper way to interact with this band is through your own experience. I remember first being introduced to the Beatles through their "1's" album. Songs like "Paperback Writer" and "Eleanor Rigby" were the clear stand outs to me. But, that was the extent of my knowledge. Until, on a whim I purchased The White Album. I was stunned. How does this album work logically? It literally ran the gamut of emotions for me. To have While my guitar gently weeps and Revolution 9 on the same album blew my mind. While my guitar gently weeps became not only my favorite Beatles song but it also entered my personal top 5 of all time.

I own all of their albums and even some bootleg recordings and I am continually reminded of one thing, they are hands down the greatest band of all time. I challenge anyone to find another band with a more sweeping catalog. Seamlessly moving from cavity forming bubble gum pop to mature, insightful songs. No other band, I believe, can truly claim that they are more famous than Jesus Christ.

In closing, I want to include my favorite 5 Beatles songs:

1. While My guitar Gently Weeps-The White Album
2. 8 Days a Week- Beatles for Sale
3. She's Leaving Home- Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band
4. Your Mother Should Know- Magical Mystery Tour
5. Dear Prudence- The White Album


Matthew Johnson

3 comments:

  1. Matt -
    This is my favorite thing you've written in the blogging world thus far. Well done.
    I would like to offer up one thing: Radiohead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eleanor Rigby is a great song! I need to give The Beatles more of a chance. They're legends! Just haven't given them the time yet. I might start by buying that White Album. That sounds good. And I remember you talking about While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I might buy that off itunes right now.

    I might agree with Emily that Radiohead does have a pretty sprawling catalog. But nothing that rivals the cultural impact that the Beatles have had. But then again, the Beatles made their splash in a different time. They're too different, though.

    I might bring up Led Zeppelin. They began opening for the Beatles and eventually passed them on the charts and album sales. Zep's catalog is varied and diverse enough. But 9 times out of 10, the guy off the street might know who John Lennon is over Robert Plant.

    As far as cultural impact, maybe (just maybe) The Beachboys with that one album Petsounds, but then the Beatles score another point because of their unrivaled catalog.

    Then there's Queen. Their sound darted in all kinds of different directions. But they might been cut short by Mercury's untimely death. Michael Jackson? But he's not a band. Elvis? Not a band. Dylan? Not a band. Rolling Stones? Not eclectic enough. The Who? Not enough in their catalog. Again, Radiohead? Too early to tell. Impressive catalog, though. Perhaps more inventive? I don't know. It may be like comparing Newton to Einstein.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Let it be
    2. Help!
    3. We can work it out
    4. Yesterday
    5. Come Together
    6. Hey Jude

    ReplyDelete