Monday, February 15, 2010

Of last year

In honor of the Oscars on march 7 I decided I would give my personal movies of last year as well as what I think should win.

Movies:
Inglorious basterds
Public Enemies
District 9
Up in the air
An Education
A Serious Man
Watchmen
Away we go
Zombieland
Up

And the winner is....

Why you ask? First this movie was written and directed by the Coen Brothers. In my opinion, they are some the best story tellers alive right now. A Serious Man is the story of a professor who watches his life unravel before his eyes. The Coen Bros are masters at dark comedy. As the viewer you are laughing at the pain of the main character because that is the only response left for the viewer.

I am continually impressed by these men. I was first introduced to them through their film Raising Arizona and was immediately hooked. I was sold on their storytelling and dialogue through one simple line, "Edwina's insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase."Absolutely hilarious, inappropriate and sad at the same time. I can't think of a better way to communicate this emotion.

If you are familiar with the Coen Brothers work then the themes you are familiar with. A man overwhelmed by his circumstances and responding in equal parts naivety and anxiety. But, they are able to keep this topic fresh.

I also recommend Fargo, Barton Fink, Miller's Crossing, Burn After Reading and No Country for Old Men for a survey of their work.

Matt Johnson

6 comments:

  1. I have not seen this yet!!!! I want to see this as soon as possible. I heard it was their best movie yet. If they won (again), I wouldn't be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing I think Inglorious Basterds has going for it is the villain. Awesome. I think the movie as a whole isn't ambitious enough for it to win in any other major category.

    I wasn't a fan of Public Enemy. I don't think my Depp-sensibilities will allow me to appreciate him in any role but a strange one - that's why I'm looking forward to Alice in Wonderland!

    District 9 was amazing! I love the mock-umentory genre. The lead character was exasperating, yet sympathetic. Wasn't Peter Jackson behind this somehow? As producer, maybe?

    I heard Clooney was GREAT in Up in the Air, but I haven't see it yet.

    I've heard wonderful things about An Education. It's the acting debut for Carey Mulligan, at least in a lead role. She might win.

    I saw the Watchmen about a month ago for the first time and I was blown away. It's a perfectly crafted fantasy film in the comic book genre.

    Up is pixar's best, perhaps. What a touching story! It could be the first animated film to win best picture. That would be strange . . . but I wouldn't mind. It's worthy.

    Zombieland!!! The Bill Murray cameo! Love it. You just have fun watching this movie. Where's the Twinkies!?!?!

    Is A Serious Man supposed to be loosely based on Job in the Book of Job? Loooosely. That would go along with the Cohen's Jewish background, I guess. I've heard that somewhere. I haven't seen Raising Arizona yet . . . I heard it was great. But Fargo is probably in my top 10 fav. movies. Geeee wiz, that's a good movie, dontchya knoow.

    Matt Damore

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.takimag.com/blogs/article/tarantino_vs._the_coen_brothers/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a good article. The Cohens and Tarantino do have completely different personalities. Stave Sailor is right, though, regarding his point about Jewish dairy farmers: it wasn't a stereotypical Jewish profession at the time, at least in France. It's not impossible that there was one; I don't think it warrants the conclusion that Tarantino's source material is the movies and only the movies so help me God.

    I wish the Academy would change and nominate a Pixar film or a Foreign film for once. I didn't know District 9 was considered Foreign. And 'An Education' is Foreign? Its setting is in England, isn't it? By that logic, Hurt Locker should be foreign, since its setting is the Middle East.

    But we shall see! Who are you rooting for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurt Locker, however, I have not seen even half of the nominations; consequently, I don't think my opinion has much weight. But, you know what "they" say: one cannot objectively say that one piece of art is superior to another! Of course, I JAMES say: Bullshit! Otherwise one might defecate on a rug and an observer would be helpless but to conclude that the feces and the angel released from the stone were of the same objective value. Hence the saying: Bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol. Or, put the virgin Mary in a tank filled with urine and call it art. What Art Museum is that in? If it's art, it's bad art. The age old question: what came first, the beauty or the judgment? And if the judgment, then does it make the beauty or respond to it? Beauty (or ugliness) needs to be 'out there', and our sensibilities need to respond to it like eyes respond to things we see. It's actually interesting to think about. All we have are our perspectives, and the sane point of view thinks all the others are off the mark. Where's the standard? Alas. Is it God? If so, how do we use it . . . hmmmm. I think of how women who were more plump were considered more attractive in ancient Greece than the more slender model our society seems to prefer. Whose body is aesthetically superior? That's the gray, though. We can look at a living example of Jabba the Hut and comfortably call that ugly. But regarding an Adonis, I wonder who decides the greater beauty? Of course, not finding out doesn't mean it's not there: that's (like we're fond of saying) confusing metaphysics and epistemology, lol.


    I need to see Hurt Locker!!! I remember seeing the lead actor in a 'House' episode and I enjoyed his character very much. And the trailer looks great.

    ReplyDelete