Wednesday, March 10, 2010

How do you listen pt. 2


I am currently working on master's degree and they were not joking about the "Master" part. I have spent quite a bit of time in the library. Like Anne Frank, I have hidden myself in my cubby looking for the light at the end of the tunnel, (in her case it was the Americans, mine is the end of an oppressive quarter) .

Because of this new cave-like existence, the only real thing I have time for anymore is listening to music. Music is an interesting phenomenon. It is an extremely layered art form. Like, a good piece of literature or a painting there is so much to appreciate. I find myself listening to a song a thousand times and discovering something new each time.

But, the most interesting thing I have found in music is the non-musical nuances that take place. I like most people, look forward to and get excited about certain things; guitar and drum solos, a smooth bass line, gang vocals, and even a clever or emotional lyric. But, something that I have discovered that I have an equal amount of appreciation for a voice crack or someone exhaling.
For example, in Ray Charles' Halleluja I jus
t love her so, Ray's voice cracks at the end of the song and it seems so appropriate based on the theme of the song. He truly loves that person and in his joy he sings and loses all control and regard for his voice. The song becomes all the more lovely because of it.

Sufjan Steven's haunting, John Wayne Gacy Jr., is the biography of a man who committed some terrible atrocities. Steven's compare's himself to him and places himself along this man. At the end of the song Steven's exhales and in that exhausted, expelling of breath, something so much deeper is communicated than words can describe.

Live versions of songs in the past have bothered me. The crowd would always bother me, often times the music would not be different enough to make it worth my attention. Live albums that I enjoyed were few and far between. Not until I began to listen to some older Mo-town and Soul did I discover some truly wonderful live versions of songs. Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, The Temptations, Al Green, Marvin Gaye to name a few, showed the raw emotion in songs. These men, when they sing there songs live there is something almo
st animalistic. They scream and yell their lyrics. They roll around on the floor to communicate their love.

Music is the single most galvanizing thing in my life. There are very few things that can get me as excited as a moment from a Led Zepplin song. But, there is something entirely brand new to consider when I think of these non-music acts that exist in certain songs.

Listen for these. See if acknowledging it changes the meaning of a song, maybe it will give it a greater context and a deeper meaning.

Songs for further consideration:
Otis Redding- Try a little tenderness
Al Green- Let's Stay Together
Dusty Springfield-You don't have to say you love me
Erykah Badu- Green Eyes
Stevie Wonder- Living for the City

No comments:

Post a Comment