Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sweet Bubblicious


I am a sucker for some radio, bubble gum pop. I always have been. Everything from Will Smith's Willenium, Britney Spears, and anything else that fits with in that context. I love it.

(Big willie style all in it, gettin jiggy wit it)

I also love the "bubblegum" in other genres. I am a sucker for Entertainment Weekly. I am interested in what is going on in the world of entertainment, who is dating who, who broke up with who etc.

In the art world I am a fan of the Rococo. Fragonard, maybe the Lady GaGa of his time, painting pictures of children on swings, sitting in the grass, so sweet in fact, you can feel the cavities forming.

Over the past year I secretly have worn out a few songs that I believe encompass some of the better of this world of radio pop.

Katy Perry- I Kissed a Girl, Hot and Cold
Lady Gaga- Poker Face, Just Dance
Taylor Swift-Love Story

The three above were in high rotation with my John Coltrane, Jurassic 5 and Bob Dylan. I couldn't help myself. During this time of complete musical gluttony I continued to ask the question, "Why not". And certainly why not.

The song that has been in high rotation recently is; Ke$ha- Tik Tok.

This can be completely blamed on the new game show that I have yet to see, Minute to Win it.
The commercial for this game show makes it look like the greatest thing on TV and I am convinced that it will be.

What are your guilty pleasures? Or less abrasive title, Bubblegum Pop mainstays?


3 comments:

  1. I learned about Fragonard's "The Swing", if that's what you're referring to. let me tell you, that painting is not as sweet as you think. it's more sexual than it appears to be. the rococo was quite scandalous.

    as far as guilty pleasures... does lily allen count? if not, then lady gaga and t. swift for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, guilty pleasures. These are the songs I turn down at a stoplight, lol. I like Pink. There I said it. And Melissa Etheridge. Just that 'Yes I Am', album. Some DC Talk songs. Whitney Houston: I will always love you, wanna dance with somebody. Mariah Carey: ALWAYS BE MY BABY and FANTASY!

    ReplyDelete