Wednesday, April 7, 2010

There Will be Blood: Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview: “I see the worst in people. I don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I've built my hatreds up over the years, little by little, Henry... to have you here gives me a second breath. I can't keep doing this on my own with these... people.”

How many of you guys love Daniel Day-Lewis’ character Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood (TWBB)? This character is probably my favorite character.

He is the symbol of capitalism, and some even say America herself. Of course, his character evolves throughout the movie, or you might say ‘devolves’, as he descends deeper and deeper into his own madness and hatred.

I love the imagery - is it on purpose? - at the beginning. He is in the womb of the Earth digging for the gold he needs to fund his future career in oil drilling. A bearded and gruff Plainview is in the middle of nowhere, in the desert, 100 feet underground, in the awful heat, covered in soot. There is no talking - only Johnny Greenwood’s eerie strings that just seem echo bleakness.

I remember that quote from John Milton in his Paradise Lost poem: “long is the way
And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light.” Only it isn’t into Light that Plainview ascends up to. It is the pit of darkness - and it is hard and long.

We have to remember that TWBB is primarily a character study. It reaches into the psychology of a man who is consumed by his own ambition, his hatred for other people, for competition because of his own competition. He says: I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

But throughout the movie, I felt more and more like I was spiraling downward through Dante’s Hell, and as you get further and further down, the cone gets more and more condensed and you’re left with the suffocating, claustrophobic straightjacket of madness and Hell.

The movie is dominated by very powerful scenes. Like I mentioned, the beginning scene is amazing. He is in the belly of the earth. There is no dialogue. We get to know the drive of the character. He is alone, trailblazing a career for himself. He is injured after accidentally falling down the mine-hole, fracturing his leg, even though he manages to drag himself across the desert to safety.

I get the feeling that this is a time and these are men who are real men, hard men, men who are dirty, who don’t complain, who have nerves of steel, forged and tested like a sword freshly-made in the fire.

When he starts to talk, his dialect is almost haunting. Every syllable is pronounced. His gait is determined but awkward. He has a son, but he is adopted after his dad died in a mining accident. But Plainview mainly takes him under his wing as a marketing ploy, though the movie does show that Plainview cared for the boy as much as his character allowed.

There is the powerful scene in the church. Plainview’s rival, Eli (a corrupt and manipulative preacher at a church in the town where Plainview is trying to drill) puts Plainview through the humiliating ordeal of getting up in front of the congregation and admit - no, yelling - that he is a sinner, that he has ABANDONED HIS BOY, HIS CHILD! Very powerful.

There is another scene where something goes wrong with the derrick and H.W. (Plainview’s son) is catapulted by an explosion that makes him permanently deaf. There is the roar of the oil rupturing out of the ground, the soundtrack is loud, the percussion and the strings are riveting, the camera follows the running men around the derrick to fix the problem, and the background noise is shrunk to a minimum as the music just takes over the scene. The sun sets as the men are scrambling and we get definitive shots of Plainview glorying in the prospect that THERE IS AN OCEAN OF OIL UNDER OUR FEET, and no one can get at it except for him. Epic.

Not very many people like the end, but I think it makes perfect sense. Like I said before, there is a spiraling downward, like going further and further down into an inverted cone. At the bottom, everything touches, and things are almost banal, which is probably what Hell is. The two main forces in the movie, Eli and Plainview, end the movie cooped up in the mansion where a petty argument - with connections with previous events in the movie - ends with Plainview smashing Eli over the head with a bowling pin.

Let’s not forget the final words: I’m finished. I can’t help think of Christ: It is finished. Not sure of a connection there - it’s just the first thing that popped in my head.

There’s so much I’m leaving out. But the main thing is that the most subtle and brilliant element about this character is that as you look at Plainview act and talk and behave, his facial expressions, his tones of voice, his motives, his confessions, his degeneration: you see there is something in his soul that his just plain evil. It is that element in his soul that - if we look at ourselves carefully - we also see in ourselves.

The more I see the movie, and the more I pay attention to the character, I see so much of myself in the character and it sort of scares me. But parts of him are in everyone. Like he tells his supposed brother (who met a bad end): if it’s in me, it’s in you.

I remember the scene where Plainview is asking why he doesn’t own a certain tract of land. Why don’t I own that, he asks. WHY DON’T I OWN THAT?, he repeats. Al, his helper, says it’s owned by someone else and that he might want to think about making the pipeline around it. Build pipeline around 50 miles of tract? Plainview snaps: Don’t be thick around me, Al. I can just feel the frustration. His drive met a speed-bump and it’s quickly swatted out of the way like a gnat. Everyone in his way is reduced to a gnat.

I love that scene when he is talking to a competitor, someone who wants to buy Plainview’s drilling rights and in exchange make him rich. The competitor makes an off-hand remark about Plainview’s son, something with just the right amount of ambiguity for Plainview’s ruthless ambition to rationalize. Did you just tell me how to raise my son?, he asks. One night, I’m going to come into your house while you’re sleeping and slit your throat, he says. Wow. And you know he means it.

3 comments:

  1. This movie did something to me. The entire experience will be with me always.

    I am reminded that this movie and "No country for old men" were released at the same time. What a year for movies.

    Without a shadow of a doubt Daniel Day Lewis is the finest actor of our time (Tom Hanks a close second in my humble opinion).

    A quick response, I appreciate your correlation to Dante and Milton. That is a great connection to draw for this film. The way that Anderson moves the story. Watching this man slip down the slope is one of the more satisfying things in film. I, personally began to become attached to Plainview. I even began to cheer him on. I wanted him to get that oil. Everyone was in his way, and he was justified in moving them. He was the best man for the job.

    The movie ends in such a violent manner that it almost shocks the viewer back into consciousness. You realize that no, he is not a good man. He banished his son and shortly after kills a man. He is a wretched individual. But, maybe the most interesting character in cinema.

    I think of other bad guys; Hannibal Lector, Kate from East of Eden, Dracula, people who seem to draw you in...I'm rambling now.

    Great post. I'm going to watch this movie again real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, what a powerhouse for movies. I did want TWBB to win over NCFOM; but it was almost like rooting for a 20 oz filet steak over a marinated 22 oz porterhouse.

    Daniel Day-Lewis is great, isn't he? He just LOSES himself in the character. As the Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York, he is amazing: probably in my top 5 performances ever ("Mulberry Street... and Worth... Cross and Orange... and Little Water. Each of the Five Points is a finger. When I close my hand it becomes a fist. And, if I wish, I can turn it against you.")

    And P.T. Anderson needs to get an Oscar quick!

    I too started to root for Plainview. It was like looking at a train wreck about to happen - you couldn't turn away, even though a part of you was trying to get him to chill. But no! He was a rebel to the end. He was 'finished'.

    See, everyone I've read and talked to HATED the ending. Anti-climactic, they said. Consistent, I say. It was showing him getting more and more enclosed in his own selfishness, his own mansion or kingdom of self-loathing and hatred of everyone. The ending was almost comic in its simplicity. A petty squabble leading to Eli's murder - a bowling pin to the head!

    I love that. There isn't any glory in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TWBB will always hold a special place in my heart. The movie itself is amazing. I can’t think of anything I would change about it. One of the main reasons I liked it was that it was simple. But I don’t mean that in a bad way. There were no exuberant and flashy special effects, high speed crash scenes, or any death defying stunts used which I feel sometimes takes away from the acting in some movies. The movie was about a man and I feel that the script was excellently written to focus on that.

    Personally, I thought the last scene was one of the more powerful scenes in the movie. The “death by bowling pin” surprised me, but I felt that this was what the entire movie had climaxed to – a man’s ultimate downfall. The movie follows this downfall of Plainview and the audience gets to see everything that leads up to that final scene. The quest for wealth can lead a person to insanity.

    Plainview’s hatred of mankind remotely reminds me of Alceste in Moliere’s The Misanthrope. Though this movie is by no means a comedy, both characters grow to despise mankind. They trust no one and are annoyed by everyone.

    I know this issue has already been discussed, but I would like to reemphasize the importance of the music in this movie. Jonny Greenwood is a genius and, for me, the music, equally with DDL’s portrayal of Plainview, made the movie. Anderson was actually inspired by Radiohead and the music Greenwood did from Bodysong. Three weeks after seeing the movie, Greenwood had a majority of the music already written and recorded. How amazing is that?

    ReplyDelete