Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Voice in the Wilderness


I am severely depressed with the current state of television.
Two and Half Men is one of the top rated shows and I'm pretty sure there are like 87 new hospital dramas starting.

ER was the best there will ever be, lets just get used to that fact.

A few years ago a few television shows were given their start. Heroes, Studio Sixty on the Sunset Strip, 30 Rock and Friday Night Lights. In my opinion, Studi
o sixty was the best. It was created and written by Aaron Sorkin (Who I have a giant crush on). He wrote movies like A Few Good Men, The American President and created and wrote my favorite show of all time The West Wing. Unfortunately, it was cancelled after a season for reasons beyond me.

Moving on, we have 30 rock. Hysterical. Tina Fey is a genius and super cute. I love her with my whole heart. May it never be cancelled.

Next, Heroes, this show started strong, but in my opinion has tapered out and I have lost interest. I have also lost interest in LOST but that is a whole different discussion.

Finally, the point of this blog.

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. I was not interested in this show in the beginning. It is about a high school football obsessed town. Their world revolves around friday nights and they turn 16 year old quarterbacks into gods. The idea of the show did not interest me, it was also based off of a ESPN original movie and it was on friday nights (Attn: Party People! Friday night is my night!). The factors here did not add up to Matt Johnson tuning in.

A year went by and shows were getting dropped like bad habits. Studio's were canceling things faster than Brangelina could adopt kids. During this almost nazi-like extermination, one show was developing a fan base. A serious one. ESPN sports analysts were talking about this Highschool football show, News networks were doing pieces on it. It was bizarre. I couldn't get my head around it, where were the sit-ins and MLK's for studio 60? So I did what any responsible, mature adult would do. I boycotted FNL.

Fast forward 4 years.

Steven King has become one of my favorite authors. I recently read The Shining and a ton of his short stories and I cannot get enough of this guy. He might be the our generations Charles Dickens. Who knows?

Anyway, he writes a column in Entertainment Weekly and he made a case for FNL that I had not heard before. He talked about the tight, clever writing. The moral decisions, watching these students make decisions that are way outside of their maturity level, it's genuinely engaging.

Based on his recommendation, I watched an episode...and then...I watched 3 seasons.
Hands down, with out a shadow of a doubt, it is the best show on television. It is the voice in the wilderness, it is the tether of creativity in a world gone reality mad. It reminds me and gives me hope that truly excellent storytelling can exist in a world of reality TV and CSI: Prostitutes.

I encourage, no demand your attention to this show. You will not regret it. It is the Highschool you would attend now, as an adult. You are reminded how those minor decisions as a 16 year old really were your world. Nothing else mattered at the time.

I applaud the creators and writers for a job well done. I just hope they don't let me down.

4 comments:

  1. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on why you lost interest in Lost. Also, Stephen King is one of my favorite authors! I know you probably don't care at all, but I thought I would recommend Under the Dome if you haven't already read it. Its length is daunting, but it was a worthwhile read. I also really enjoyed Dreamcatcher...it's probably one of my favorite books of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki,
    Thanks for reading, how are you? Law school treating you well?

    I haven't had the chance to read Dome yet, ut I want to. It's on the list. I have really only read shining and every possible short story I can get my hand on.

    LOST, I only continue to watch out of duty, I feel like if I stop now I have wasted 6 years of my life. But what initially attracted me to the show no longer exists. It is now just a puzzle and that is not interesting to me. The little things here and there don't interest me. I like the moral dilemmas. But I want to write blog about this at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with the feeling of duty towards Lost. I have mixed feelings about this season, but I'm hopeful that somehow having "all my questions answered" (if that actually happens) will validate those six years.

    Law school is basically the weirdest, hardest, most awful and complex thing I have ever experienced. I both hate it and kind of like it at the same time. Mostly it sucks and it way too much work. That's about all I can say! I hope school is going well for you! I'm sure you can relate to the intense work load...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen a couple of episodes of Friday Night Lights, but nothing to make me addicted yet. If I get the time, I'll definitely check it out.

    Oh, Aaron Sorkin. I have the highest respect for him. I did think the staccato dialogue in the West Wing was a little over kill sometimes; but if it was done in A Few Good Men, it worked for me. The American President was also very good.

    One wonders why Studio Sixty went under after a season. I think you told me, but I forget. Love Matthew Perry.

    I think Lost was ruined for me because of the frenzy it caused at Surfside Pres. I'll watch it when the time is right.

    Agreed though. TV is in a sad state right now. Though I'd say HBO does a good job. Though it doesn't air anymore, Deadwood was topnotch.

    I also think medical dramas are way overdone. The only one I got into was House, thanks to you!

    Yea, Stephen King is the man. I just finished the first book in his Dark Tower series. I'm told it's the weakest, since it was done by a young amateur. It is still better than anything I could dream of doing. But the other books in the series are supposed to be what sets it apart.

    ReplyDelete